Thursday, December 4, 2014

Friends with Benefits...


I was born and raised in Wisconsin so liking cheese is pretty much a requirement.

But I don’t just like cheese, I LOVE cheese! Lucky for me, my best friend’s family owns Cedar Grove Cheese in Plain, WI. So after a recent trip home I happily accepted a variety of cheese straight from the factory to experiment with in my cooking.

Cedar Grove Cheese is well known for their high quality traditional and specialty cheeses. The milk for their cheese comes from Wisconsin farmers who do not treat their cows with synthetic growth hormones, some of which are certified organic. In addition, much of their cheese is made without artificial growth hormones (rBGH) or genetically modified ingredients (GMOs). Impressed yet?

If not, you will be after trying this recipe…

For my first experiment, I decided to attempt my very own cheesy broccoli soup using Cedar Grove’s traditional medium cheddar. My desired result was a soup that came in a close second to Panera Bread’s cheesy goodness they call soup. I can honestly say, this recipe surpassed Panera’s broccoli cheddar by long shot! Give it a try by ordering your Cedar Grove cheese here: http://www.cedargrovecheese.com/index.html

Ingredients:

4 cups broccoli
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 yellow onion
1 ½ cups of chicken stock
3 cups of Cedar Grove cheddar cheese
¾ heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
-Begin by shredding the cheese and finely chopping the broccoli and onion. Set aside.
-In a large pot, on medium heat stir together chicken stock, onion, broccoli, and garlic for about 5 minutes. Once it comes to a boil, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
-Stir in heavy whipping cream and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes.
-Once the whipping cream starts bubbling, slowly add cheese until smooth.
-Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment