Sunday, March 1, 2015

Chicken Tortilla Soup

One of my favorite Christmas presents this year was my KitchenAid stand mixer. I was so excited to add this forever staple to my collection of “red” kitchenware. However, I am not the best at baking nor is baking the best for my diet so I haven’t used it as much as I hoped I would. I was explaining my dilemma to a coworker this week during our long night shift and he told me how you can use your KitchenAid to shred chicken. At first, I was skeptical but after showing me multiple YouTube demonstrations I decided I would give it a try this weekend. Turns out it works great! I thought I would share this exciting news with all of my readers. Go try it for yourself! And maybe even convince yourself to splurge on that vibrant colored KitchenAid you have been eyeing every time you walk into Target ;)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1 4-once can green chilies
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cups chicken broth
1 16-once can of diced tomato with liquid
12 ounces of chicken (2-3 breasts)
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
1/3 cup lime juice

Directions:

In a large stockpot heat olive oil. Add onions, peppers and carrots and sauté over medium heat until onions are translucent in color. Add green chilies, chili power, cumin, garlic, oregano and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Then add chicken broth and can of diced tomatoes and bring to a boil.



Meanwhile, bring a separate pan of water to a boil and add frozen 2-3 chicken breast. Cook for about 20 minutes, drain, and transfer to KitchenAid stand mixer. Using your flat beater, mix the chicken on medium speed until chicken becomes perfectly shredded.



Reduce heat and add chicken. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add corn and simmer for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.  Garnish with tortilla chip strips, monetary jack cheese, sour cream, avocado and/or cilantro. Enjoy!


1 comment: