Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Duke’s Award Winning Clam Chowder

Today’s post comes from Tacoma, Washington. 
Being a seafood lover from the Midwest, I have major envy for people who live on the coast and have access to fresh fish on a daily basis. Thankfully, a perk of my job is traveling to cities where I can get my seafood fix.
Yesterday, I ate on Tacoma’s waterfront at a place called Duke’s Chowder House and had the best clam chowder. I ordered second bowl. It was that good.
The restaurant printed out recipe and put it under the bowl so I thought I would share with you all. I thought giving customers the recipe under the bowl that was super neat. [Note to self: if I ever open my own restaurant steal this idea!!!]
Tomorrow I am heading to Seattle and I can’t wait to check out Pike Place Market!





Ingredients:

1 lb IQF Surf Clams (all natural)

1 ½ cups clam juice

1 oz clam base

4 strips bacon (nitrite free)

4 oz (1 stick) butter

2 cups diced celery

2 cups diced onion

½ tsp basil

1 tsp thyme

½ tsp marjoram

½ tsp black pepper

2 cups diced red potatoes

½ oz garlic

2 tbl parsley

1 tbl dill

4 oz flour

1 ½ cups milk

2 ½ cups heavy cream

Directions:

Blanch diced fresh baby red potatoes in boiling water (until tender) Cool and hold separately. Cook bacon in heavy bottom saucepan until the bacon begins to crisp. Add butter, onions, celery. Sauté until tender. Add flour, lower heat and cook for 7 minutes at 165 degrees. Mix and dissolve all calm base with clam juice separately. Add clam juice and base mixture. Add dairy products. Add herbs. Heat until almost boiling (185 degrees), blending with a wire whip. Add blanched red potatoes and clams. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes at 185 degrees. Cool quickly or serve immediately. Taste chowder and realize that you have made the best clam chowder on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment