Friday, February 5, 2016

Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowl




Recently, it seems meatless “bowls” are the new food fad! Every restaurant I have visited in the past couple months seems to offer some sort of veggie bowl variety. So, of course, I wanted to give it a try! I absolutely love roasted sweet potatoes so I knew I wanted to add them to my bowl. Adding cumin and chili powder definitely boosted the sweet potato flavor – I don’t think I will make them any other way from now on! Although it was a close race with the spiced sweet potatoes, my favorite part of this dish was actually the cilantro cream. I don’t know about you but sometimes my taste buds need a little relief from the heat. Hope you guys enjoy and share with me your own “bowl” test run! I always love hearing a creative take on an existing recipe.  


Ingredients:

Roasted Sweet Potato:

2 medium sweet potatoes

1 teaspoon EVOO

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon salt

 

Quinoa:

1 cup quinoa

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Juice of half a lime

 

Cilantro Cream:

1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

1/4 cup cilantro

1/4 teaspoon honey

Juice of half a lime

Pinch of salt, garlic powder, and chili powder


Other Ingredients:

1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained

Cilantro for garnishing

Lime for garnishing

 

 

Directions:

Peel and dice sweet potatoes and mix with EVOO and spices. Roast in a 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes, stirring half way through with a spatula. Set aside.

Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to the packaged instructions. Don’t forget to rinse before you boil! Remove from heat and stir in spices and lime juice.

In a food processor add cilantro cream ingredients. Blend well.

Assemble in bowl in this order: quinoa, black beans, sweet potatoes, cilantro cream, cilantro, lime slices. Feel free to add salsa, corn, jalapeños, etc.

Dig in and ponder why you aren’t a vegetarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment