Saturday, October 11, 2014

Oodles of Noodles

Ever since I experienced authentic Asian cuisine on my study abroad program to China and South Korea I have been addicted to Asian soups. Being that I lived in Lincoln, Nebraska for a few years after the trip, “authentic” Asian cuisine was difficult to find. So instead I decided to research and create my own take on Asian soups! (I hope this blog inspires you to do the same!)

Step 1 was deciding what type of noodles I prefer. There are so many options to choose from – egg noodles, rice noodles, udon noodles, soba noodles, glass noodles, ramen noodles, wonton noodles….the list goes on! Here are my reviews:

Egg noodles- This type of noodles is probably the most popular and familiar Asian noodle here in the US. They are made by blending wheat flour, cornstarch, salt, oil, and of course eggs! You can find egg noodles in many different forms. The most popular American Chinese egg noodle dish is Chow Mein. Personally, I am not a huge fan because they usually leave me too full. But if you are thinking about trying to create your Asian soup, this is a great place to start.

Rice noodles- Rice noodle is primarily made of rice flour but water, tapioca and cornstarch are also added to help improve the transparency and texture. Let me warn you, the chewy texture is not for everyone! Also, be aware this type of noodle usually only takes two minutes or less to cook. If you cook to them longer, they turn into mush. I know this from experience! Personally, I think the rice noodle is a little too bland. If you try it, be sure to add more flavorful ingredients.

Udon noodles- My favorite Asian noodle comes from Japan! The udon noodle has a thick round wheat flour body and is often served in a hot mild broth called kakejiru. The dish is normally topped with some combination of scallions, mushrooms, radishes, shrimp tempura, tofu, or fish cake balls. Udon noodle is pretty soft and easy to break apart so you can get a good combination of broth and noodle in each bite. I highly recommend looking for fresh udon noodles the next time you grocery shop and giving them a try.

Soba noodles- Soba is the Japanese name for buckwheat which is this noodles more prominent ingredient. I haven’t tried cooking the soba noodle myself but considering the health benefits buckwheat provides I think it is next on my list. Buckwheat is very high in fiber and supposedly linked to lowering the risk of high cholesterol and blood pressure.
In South Korea, Soba noodles are commonly found in mul naengmyun which is a traditional cold noodle dish popular in the summer months. The dish is served in a stainless steel bowl to keep its icy broth and is usually topped with refreshing toppings like cucumber and watermelon. I actually tried mul naengmyun in Seoul and I have to say it was surprisingly good! 
 
Glass noodles- This transparent starch based noodle is also well known as the cellophane noodle. You will see it in many Chinese soups, spring rolls, and it is particularly popular item to throw in hot pots! I am guessing many of my readers are be wondering what a hot pot is and let me tell you it is one of the most entertaining ways to eat.
In China, is it common to enjoy a nice long meal around a hot pot, which is a metal stock pot that is typically sectioned in two, giving you a choice of simmering your raw food in a mild or spicy broth. Typical items to cook in the hot pot include thinly sliced meats, tofu, fish balls, vegetables, and noodles. (And usually cooked in that order) After cooking to perfection, it is common to dip these items in Asian condiments like sesame oil, soy sauce or chili paste. My fondest memory from my study abroad trip is from our first hot pot experience in Hangzhou.

Raman noodles- If you were ever a college student on a tight budget, I know you are familiar with this noodle. This famous noodle soup is typically made from wheat and is flavored with a salty meat-based broth. But where do ramen noodles exactly come from? Though my extensive raman research, the origin is unknown but is commonly believed to be tied to China. The instant raman noodle became famous in 1958 in Japan when it was founded by a man named Momofuku Ando. Believe it or not, there are some better quality raman noodles out there than the ones you probably have in mind and I urge you look for them if are attempting your own creation!

Wonton noodles- This Cantonese noodle is most popular in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. It is usually served in hot soup with shrimp wontons and leafy vegetables. Kailan known as Chinese kale is traditionally added however this vegetable is very hard to find in the US. I tried this dish in Beijing and have been looking for it on every Asian restaurant menu ever since. If you ever come across it, do yourself a favor and try it.   
Step 2 was finding the perfect broth. If you look, most grocery stores sell a few different Asian style broths. Trader Joe’s has a miso ginger broth and most Hy-Vee’s carry a Pacific soup starter base called Chicken Pho. These pre-packed broths are a good starting point. For my more adventurous readers, I urge you to create your own Asian broth and share your findings with me. I am always looking for something new to try! Here is my favorite Kakejiru recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup dashi soup stock
 ½ - 1 tablespoon soy sauce
 1 tablespoon rice wine -Mirin or Sake
 1 teaspoon sugar
 Salt to taste

Directions:
Mix and heat
 * This recipe only makes about 1 cup so double if you are cooking for two :) 



Step 3 was the fun part – adding the protein and veggies! The healthiest method is to simply steam your meat and veggies in your broth. I would suggest cooking your noodles separately and adding them at the end. Don’t know what to add? Get ideas from my list below:
-Chicken, beef shrimp, tofu, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, green onions, cucumber, carrots, radish, asparagus, broccoli, bean sprouts, bell peppers, sugar snap peas, onion, celery, napa cabbage, bok choy, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, jalapeno, cilantro, ginger, garlic, lime
I know many of friends and family have also had the opportunity to experience authentic Asian cuisine. I would love to hear from you! Share your favorite dish or recipes with me by commenting below.
 谢谢



No comments:

Post a Comment