Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fall Inspired Crockpot

My first blog post is inspired by my favorite season - FALL!

As the temperature starts to dip and the leaves begin to change color, it is hard not to crave fall’s freshest farmers market produce like squash, apples, pears, and sweet potatoes.

How have I not mentioned pumpkin in this post? You can’t walk into grocery stores like Hen House or Trader Joe's without practically drowning in endless pumpkin products. As overwhelming as it is, I’ll admit, I get a little bit giddy when the pumpkin spice latte comes back around.  

Another unavoidable fall occurrence is my family's trip to Peck’s Farm, which is located in Spring Green, Wisconsin. (http://www.pecksfarmmarketeast.com) Of course, my mom brought me a few of my favorite items from the farm on her last visit. One in particular is found in this recipe. Can you guess what it is?

You guessed it...the butternut squash! While exploring butternut squash recipes on Pinterest, I discovered a similar crockpot meal but added my own spin. Hope you enjoy the recipe and this boot and scarf weather as much as me! :)

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash, cubed
1 sweet onion, sliced
2 bosc pears, sliced
1 cup fresh cranberries
4-5 raw chicken breasts
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup apple cider
3 bay leaves
½ table soon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Place squash in the bottom of the crockpot

Mix together onion, pears and cranberries and pour ½ on top

Add bay leaves

Layer raw chicken breasts on top of the bay leaves

Add remaining ½ of onion, pear and cranberry mixture

Evenly pour chicken broth and apple cider on top of ingredients

Sprinkle garlic powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper on top

Cook on high for 2 hours










1 comment: